As we’ll rediscover this Sunday, the season of Epiphany concludes with yet another revelation of Jesus—Transfigured before his disciples, the voice of God rumbling through their very being, “This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!” (Luke 9:35).
Throughout Lent, we will respond to the Father’s command to listen to Jesus by giving our attention to Jesus’ “Sermon on the Mount.” Each Sunday we will consider the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12), and carry two of them with us throughout the week. Our new Life Groups will delve more deeply into Jesus’ words, guided by John Stott’s Reading the Sermon on the Mount.
These Life Groups are small groups that cultivate community, faithfulness, and worship through welcome, conversation, engagement with Scripture, and prayer. The format is simple:
● Re-member: We gather together in a welcoming environment and share food and drink together, remembering who we are as the Body of Christ. (15 minutes)
● Re-orient: We fix our eyes on Jesus through participation in a simple liturgy, asking Him to open our eyes. (5 minutes)
● Receive: We listen to the Spirit and each other through conversation arising from studying Scripture. (30-45 minutes)
● Respond: After answering the question, “How is Jesus inviting me/us to respond?”, we spend time praying for each other, and giving thanks to the Father. (10-15 minutes)
● Return: The group returns to participate in the Messiah’s Mission in the world through a blessing and/or song. (1-3 minutes)
The Life Group leaders and I have been practicing this format for the past three weeks at my house, and this upcoming week we will praying for you! Please consider joining a Life Group as one of your Lenten disciplines – there are six available, including one that is meeting via Zoom. Go to xxxx to sign up!
Please remember that we feast together on Shrove Tuesday at Bob Evans (5pm-8pm), and Ash Wednesday enter Lent together on our knees (7pm at Beville). Read below for other ways in which we’ll be Living Lent Together.
I look forward to being with you.
Your Pastor in Christ,